Re-registering a Business
If you move your business or a branch of your business within a municipal area, you will need to re-register your business. Re-registration is also required if the goods or services you offer change.
If you want to register your place of business in a new town or city, you will first of all need to deregister your business in its current town/city of registration. Then you can register your business in the new town/city.
In accordance with Section 14 of the German Code of Trade and Commerce [Gewerbeordnung, GewO], every businessperson is obliged to register their business. This is why business re-registrations are mandatory.
You must re-register your business at your local regulatory or trade licensing office, i.e. the place where you originally registered your business. Your competent tax office, Chamber of Commerce and Industry or Chamber of Crafts and Skilled Trades and the employers’ liability insurance association will be notified of all business re-registrations.
Alternatively, you can re-register your business electronically here.
- business re-registration form
- a copy of your ID or passport with your last registration certificate
- if necessary, a commercial register excerpt (for registered companies) – for foreign companies, with a sworn translation into German
- if necessary, a copy of your craftsman’s card (for crafts/skilled trades that require a licence)
- if necessary, a copy of the relevant permit/licence (for businesses that require a licence)
Business re-registration normally incurs the same costs as business Registration.
SIMPLE ONLINE BUSINESS RE-REGISTRATION THROUGH THE SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT FOR NRW
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us – the single point of contact for NRW. On request, we can also coordinate your business re-registration by electronic means. Our services are free.