Where do I register my restaurant?
Both restaurants that serve alcohol and those that do not serve alcohol must be registered with the local trade licensing or regulatory office. If a restaurant intends to serve alcoholic beverages, the restaurant may only commence activities once the relevant permit has been obtained. A restaurant permit may also be requested from the local trade licensing or regulatory office.
Which documents must be submitted?
For a business registration (restaurants WITH and WITHOUT alcohol), normally:
- Business registration form
- For legal persons: company register or association register excerpt
- If registered by a representative: power of attorney
- If necessary, approval certificate (not mandatory, but necessary for the commencement of business)
- If necessary, residence permit (not mandatory, but may be necessary for commencement of business)
For a permit (restaurant WITH alcohol), normally:
- Documents on the building in which the restaurant will be located: two copies of the layout, ground plan and sectional drawings
- Planning permission and final inspection documents
- Copy of the lease agreement; the gross lease rate must be stated
- Information on tax matters from the tax office of the place where you resided or operated your business during the last three years
- Clearance certificate from the municipal tax office of the place where you resided or operated your business during the last three years
- Certificate of conduct document type “O”
- Excerpt from the German Central Register of Companies document type "9"
- Clearance certificate from the insolvency court of the local courts in whose district you resided or maintained a business presence during the last three years
- Excerpt from the list of debtors via the Vollstreckungsportal der Länder in accordance with Section 882b of the German Code of Civil Procedure [Zivilprozessordnung, ZPO]
- Proof of receipt of basic information about food law from the Chamber of Commerce and Industry (CCI)
- For legal persons: excerpt from the company register or association register, or a copy of the articles of association or of the statutes
- When submitting an application through a representative: power of attorney
- If necessary, residence permit
The final restaurant permit will be for a specific location, type of operation and persons and will only be issued if you, as the applicant, are considered to be reliable. You can prove your reliability through the documents listed above. The trade department will then determine whether your restaurant may be opened in the desired form.
In certain cases, additional documents may be necessary – you will be informed about this by the competent authorities.
Simple online procedure to help you open a restaurant through the Single Point of Contact for NRW
Would like to open a restaurant? We will be pleased to provide you with information about the necessary steps. You can also process your proposal through our electronic application system.
If you have any questions about individual documents or regarding the competent authorities, please do not hesitate to contact us. We will be happy to assist you.